City files motion for second appeal of soda ban lawsuit

Print Friendly

Photo by Nancy Borowick

(Original Link)

8/5/2013

By Ivan Pereira

The city filed an appeal with the state’s highest court Monday, seeking to make the mayor’s ban on large sodas a reality.

In its court filings, the Health Department said the state appellate court was wrong to rule in favor of the soda companies last week because the agency has the power to enact the ban on sugary drinks served in cups greater than 16 ounces in establishments that get letter grades.

The American Beverage Association and other organizations contend the ban was improper because it singled out sodas as a leading cause of obesity and didn’t go through the City Council.

“We look forward to a final resolution of this issue,” an ABA spokesman said in a statement.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 at 5:43 pm and is filed under amNewYork, Breaking News, Politics, Print Articles. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.

 

%d bloggers like this: